Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Officer's Log No 15: Echoes

There isn't an easy way to handle someone who doesn't want to listen to you. I encountered this today, and when the person finally stormed off because I couldn't help him, I was left a bit put off. The truth is that Sundays we don't buy books - period. Nialle takes the day off, and I run the place, but I can't buy books from people because it isn't my call and it isn't my money. For the most part, people are understanding, and simply say that they'll come back another time. Today, the person was angry, and had an attitude because I couldn't buy back his book.

This isn't the first time this has happened. As I said, for the most part, people are understanding and cool about the book buyer taking a day off, and so they come back later. Then there are the people who feel that they have the right to snap at me or my co-worker, and stomp out of here, acting like children, because we can't help them. It's not a matter of not wanting to help, it's simply a matter of not being in a position to help.

Some months ago, Nialle mentioned the few people we deal with who fit the definition of looking for fights and inevitably destroy morale for the day. At this point, my morale isn't destroyed, and I'm over whatever initial frustration I had with today's person, but allow me to reiterate something:

I'm not the book buyer, nor am I the owner. I can't make any decisions regarding the welfare of the store, nor any decisions regarding the inventory because it isn't my place, and I don't have the training to do it. If you come in on Sundays looking to sell books, please understand that the book buyer is not here, and unfortunately I can't help you with selling your books or apply trade credit to your balance without her consent.

I know this isn't my usual type of post, but I wanted to say something. If there's one complaint that I am known for making, it is that rude customers are the worst part of working retail. Anyone who has done this type of work knows what I am talking about. A little politeness goes a long way, as does a bit of understanding.

Thanks for letting me put this out there, fellow bibliophiles.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment